Guiding Sustainable Aviation Solutions
Metron Aviation is at the forefront of developing the environmental modeling and analysis tools needed to measure potential environmental impacts due to proposed changes in air transportation systems in all areas: surface, terminal and en route. Metron Aviation has a proven track record in developing tools to estimate noise and emissions (including greenhouse gases and associated fuel metrics) impacts at a macroscopic level. Metron Aviation’s tools allow governments, ANSPs, airports and aircraft operators to better determine root causes of noise and emission impacts, due to specific variable changes (routing, procedures, aircraft fleet mix, etc.).
In addition to the projects included in our case studies, other tools Metron Aviation has developed, include:
- National Airspace System-wide Environmental Impact Model is capable of computing associated noise and emissions impacts with geographic coverage for the entire National Airspace System (NAS), through regional and local levels.
- Noise Integrated Routing System/NIRS Screening Tool (NIRS/NST) allows for a higher level assessment of potential noise impacts for a study area, requiring less commitment of time and resources to determine significant noise impacts.
- Modeling Environmental Factors in Surface Traffic Optimization (MEFISTO) directly addresses the needs of the NASA Airportal Project, to create tools and methods to assess environmental constraints in the noise, emissions and fuel-efficiency domains.
- Airspace Design Environmental Prototyping Tool (ADEPT) is a highly configurable framework for visualization and simulation tools.
- Technology Portfolio Assessment and Decision Support (TPADS) is a tool NASA can use to quantify the benefits of their environmental technology programs.
With the realization that understanding and quantifying aviation’s impact on our environment is the first step in formulating meaningful approaches for mitigating that impact, Metron Aviation is committed to continue to provide new and innovative environmental analysis tools that support government policy, focused alternatives analysis and stakeholder needs, to ensure a level of protection that will support environmentally sustainable growth. Metron Aviation understands that improving environmental protection and addressing energy challenges are vital elements to facilitate a more globally harmonized approach to these critical issues which will ensure continued air transportation viability worldwide.