Harmony for ANSPs (Australia)
Over the last decade, tourism and travel in Australia has steadily increased, with continued growth of air traffic projected. Increased traffic on domestic and international routes result in a demand and capacity imbalance at many of the Australia airports. In order improve the environmental impact and enhance efficiency at hubs such as Sydney, Melbourne and Perth, Airservices sought a solution to optimize airport operations and deliver value to its aircraft operators.
Airservices selected Metron Aviation’s integrated and collaborative ATFM system, Metron Harmony for ANSPs, which gives Airservices advanced tools for strategic planning, as well as pre-tactical and tactical management of traffic flow within available airspace capacity.
The system provides the NOC with comprehensive ATFM capabilities to model and implement Air Traffic Management initiatives for aerodromes. Additionally, due to the complex runway configurations at Sydney airport, Airservices required Ground Delay Programs (GDP) for runways to ensure optimized usage, rather than just for aerodromes.
Since the commissioning of the Metron Harmony ATFM/CDM system, massive fuel savings, emissions reductions and operational efficiencies have been achieved. According to Airservices Australia, operational benefits highlights include:
- Aviation resource (e.g., airports, airspaces) demand monitoring in the strategic, pre-tactical and tactical timeframes
- Automated Traffic Management Initiatives (TMIs) (e.g., Ground Delay Program, Airspace Flow Program, and Ground Stop) to balance demand with available capacity
- Situational awareness and data exchange with aircraft operators and airport authorities
- Aircraft Operator ATC slot substitutions to align business priorities with ATFM Measures
- Real-time and post operations metrics and performance analysis